Total Pageviews

Monday 4 June 2012

Jubilant Jollifications!

J H Dowd Illustration sketches

 Hello blog freinds. I was trying to think of a title for this post that would tie in with all the Jubilee celebrations that are going on around our little island this past few days! When I thought of this one, I remembered these wonderful illustrations that are in a book I have 'People of Importance' with all the illustrative sketches by J H Dowd. I love them, the book is signed and dated 1935, so fairly old. Hope you like them?
 My own little nod to the British flag, which is being waved all over the country as I write, came about 2 years ago, when I could see this trend for the flag symbol appearing on Everything!! Out of necessity really, I created this little teacosy and below a lavender scented bag, both in faded denim, which I love. My intention was to create lots of these, and sell them on Etsy or someplace. But the artwork took over and I've just been so busy with all that. I only have a borrowed 'old' sewing machine anyway...

Arnclffe
We've been out in the lovely Yorkshire Dales walking today, lots of flag waving going on all over in the villages. I've just watched my favourite 'Paul Mcartney' as the final act in a concert for the Jubilee, and beacons are being lit (4,2000) throughout the country on hill tops everywhere. We saw one being set up, whilst in Littondale today.








We walked through fields of buttercups, daisies and red clover, past old barns and houses, it was a pleasant day indeed. See you all again soon. Hope you get to see some of the celebrations from over here, wherever you are in the world! :)

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post Julie! I love the elephant and pony, the beautiful tea cosy you made, the Singer sewing machine (just like the one I had, handed down from my mom and grandmother and then I gave it back--always regretted that) and the sense of your Diamond Jubilee celebration. We only have a faint feeling of it here but it sounds beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Julie! it’s been such a long time... i have been away, i alwasy find it impossible to blog when i travel...
    i’d love one of those tea pot cosy! how gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you folks, the sewing machine is rather brilliantly easy to use, I'm not one for sewing, but I did enjoy that project. Hope you've had lovely travels Sandra, you always seem to be on the move someplace!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving your comment, it is much appreciated.