Total Pageviews

Friday 13 December 2013

Advance copies, etc etc etc

first copy of one of my new books

Hi there folks :)  I received advance copies of the two little books I worked on earlier this year, they are out in the new year sometime. I must apologise for the quality of my photographs, it suddenly dawned on me the other day. why I've not been posting so much here. The camera is playing up terribly, and has been all year really, I've struggled to get these and I think it's given up altogether now, so I'm hoping Santa may bring me a new one please? Or in the sales I may look for one :)
Anyway, these little books have grown on me, looking at them now, in situ as it were, they do fit the bill, of explaining little prayers and psalms to young girls age 2-4 years.
sorry about the photo, I will explain.
When I look at the images, I can remember how I wracked my brain to come up with some of the scenarios, and some of them are a bit too literal, but hey ho, if I were a little girl, it would look OK to me :)


I hope you like them too? And more importantly I hope that little girls like them.
The covers are a little too 'pink' and glittery??


But inside we did OK?


 So this was quite exciting getting the above copies, I think there are more being shipped over now, and hope to get some more copies soon.
 I also set myself the task of creating a Christmas card. I ordered some sweet little buttons and then thought up an idea to suit them. I drew a sort of 'Rob Ryan' type tree, intending to pop the button on top. I thought right, get that screen out that I bought last year, cut out a paper stencil as you do, then quick as you like, screen print me lots of cards.......... well I had good intentions of doing that??
Cutting out the paper stencil.

Too many teeny fiddly bits?

Here it is carefully positioned on the screen!

Paint painstakingly mixed to match my little button!

Eh, Viola.....DISASTER!!!!
 I was quite excited to do this screen printing malarky, I do love the process, but it just didn't work, I think it was wrong paper, too intricate a design, ink not quite right mix, etc, etc. So I reverted back to the trusty stamping technique, I'm sorry I don't have photos of the whole process, but the camera was giving up at this point.

So here are my finished stamped designs. They have been delivered too, and pleased to report they were well received, Phew!
Before I leave you.....
Just one little sad note.... I found this little chap in the garden. I know birds must die, they don't live that long I don't think?? But it was quite sad to see this beautifully coloured bird lying by the water pot? such lovely bright colours. Maybe someone could explain? 



9 comments:

  1. You did a good job with your books and got the right balance I think. Love your tree design also. Poor little goldfinch, I heard somewhere that they are getting a disease from water feeding stations, maybe a water born virus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, the little goldfinch just looked perfect, although it seemed quite thin? I have seen them with bad eyes before, I found one dead a few years back. My water well was full of leaves, I cleaned it out, but it keeps filling with them, it was such a beautiful little thing :(

      Delete
  2. Your books are adorable and the tree illustration is really pretty! Sorry about the bird, sometimes they also hit windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your illustrations are quite adorable and very appealing to little girls, for sure!
    The tree is so meticulously cut out and so beautiful in its delicacy. But being so delicate and maybe the paper from which it was cut perhaps being delicate too may have led to the print not being good. Perhaps mylar would be better?
    But the stenciling turned out beautifully!
    I don't know about European Finches but I have read that sparrows only last 1 - 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems i've missed your last few posts?? I must check my settings and see why you don't come up as unread?
    Of course I'm glad i missed this one, as it would have ruined the surprise of the Christmas card design! :)))) It is wonderful ~ Thank you! :))))
    Your little books are adorable ~ great art, and I rather like like the pink and glittery covers!! Glad you have had success with your art!
    I will keep fingers crossed that Santa hears your plea for a new camera!
    Sending all the best wishes for the Holidays!
    p.s. Sorry about the little bird... perhaps he flew into a window? It is very beautiful none the less...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie, love the new header. Books are gorgeous - well done you for being a published book illustrator! How sad for the little goldfinch. We have lots in our garden and they are so lovely to observe. Thank you also for the christmas card - great design :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Julie! Your new little books are terrific and I love the format ("small books for small hands", Beatrix Potter once wrote...) and your charming illustrations will speak to the reader so well. Bravo! Also love the bold red tree card design- thanks for letting us see your printing process malarcky, too! I don't think I have the tempermant to be a print maker; I just mimic them! And lastly, well, you know I feel about birds and yes, the few I've found dead are usually victims of window crashes or cats. But what an opportunity to look at them close up. Such BEAUTIFUL feathers. I always hope they are very elderly birds and they have seen their share of blue spring skies...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for 2014. Great to see all those little pictures now in the books.
    I too have a screen printing set, still not used but will get it going eventually. It is years since I did it but feels exciting to try again. Love your card print, the rubber prints are reliable, works really well. The poor bird has probably flown into a glass window or door and not survived it! Sad , a lovely goldfinch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comment. I think you may have misunderstood, I just have my drawing blog. I worked with the owner of the fabric business by providing my drawings for the fabric. It is not. my wallpaper or fabric business! I was a school teacher, now free! Indulging myself in drawing, sewing and walking.
    Hope you are keeping busy, working on some thing nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving your comment, it is much appreciated.